Friday, October 3, 2008

The right decision??

Well, I just couldn't help myself - - - I called Vietnam last night and - on the second try - spoke again to "Russell". She was not as abrasive and condescending as she had been in our former conversation (I can't believe that was nearly 3 months ago!!), but she was definitely all business. She was aware of the paperwork issue and she said we had two choices: she would return the originals to us and allow us to send them back OR she would disregard the cover letter from our agency and allow the paperwork to stand on its own as the response to the RFE. Both e-mails we received from them stressed that we are only allowed ONE submission of a response, so this was an important decision. She kept saying that we have "plenty of time", since we were allowed 84 days to respond, but I reminded her that getting our daughter home as soon as possible was our top priority!

I told her I would need to talk to Shawn and would let her know our decision via e-mail.

Shawn and I discussed it and based our decision on: 1) having them return and then sending back the documentation would take about 10 - 14 days - - further delays - - , 2) there would be a chance that the paperwork could get lost and 3) the documentation itself is what they will base their determination on anyway.

SO! I sent an e-mail response to USCIS last night - which they acknowledged receiving - and our submission date is 10/3/08. They said they require 30 working days for a response. I hope and pray that it won't take that long!

Was it the right decision?? I guess time will tell....

2 comments:

Melissa Ward said...

WOW! I didn't realize that you were having so many problems getting Kai home until I spoke with Caroline a fews days ago. (She gave me your blog address.) I'll say lots of prayers that God will move your paperwork through quickly and that you will have Kai in your arms by her first birthday! I know how hard it is to wait.

Melissa

Anonymous said...

I think it sounds like good news that they're giving you options instead of handing you another roll of red tape. I just stopped to say a prayer for you guys. Keep us posted! ~Gina @ fiveinthehive