Friday, October 3, 2008

Paris Pics!







Finally a moment to breathe and post some pictures from our anniversary trip to Paris! I cannot figure out how to put captions next to each one, and they show up in the reverse order from how I upload them, but here's what you're seeing:

- This is me updating the blog at the Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris awaiting our return flight home.
- We weren't looking for it, but stumbled across the memorial to Princess Diana and the tunnel where she was killed. It was chilling to see; I can't believe it's been more than 10 years since that happened!
- This was taken in the GYNORMOUS plaza of the Musee' de Louvre, which is now an art museum. You can't imagine how big it is (it spans 15 acres), and the modern glass pyramid is in remarkable contrast to the 12th century architecture. Louis XIV, Napoleon I and Napoleon III all lived here at one time - - - - imagine THAT as your crib!!
- I forgot the names of these next two places, but aren't they unbelievably beautiful?!?
- Shawn and I at the Eiffel Tower. Again, you can't imagine its vastness until you see it in person! This steel tower (over 1,000 feet tall) was built between 1887 - 1889 as the entrance for the International Exhibition in Paris for the centennial celebration of the French Revolution and is named for its designer, Gustave Eiffel.

And that, boys and girls, is my history lesson for the day!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

1 comment:

M and M Nichols said...

Wow, I love Paris. I think the photo above the Eiffel Tower is the Opera House? I remember seeing it when we were there. Looks like a great trip.