Thursday, November 6, 2008

AHHH! I can post again!!!





I'm not sure why, but for the last two days when I've tried to login to post on the blogsite, it gave me instructions in Vietnamese - - and more detailed instructions than the usual e-mail address and password, so I have been STUCK, unable to post. ANYWAY!!! I logged on tonight and for some reason it's back to English, and let me just say HALLELUJAH!! My Facebook friends have been able to see some pics, but not everyone, so.....with no further adieu.....I am so happy to share some pics of Kai!!!

She was really open to us when we were at the orphanage, laughing and smiling. We spent about an hour there before we were told it was time to leave and go to the G&R Ceremony. The nannies were very sad you could tell, but I also saw how much love they had for Kai and - as we left - I was overcome with gratitude for these two ladies who had cared for Kai, day in and day out with oh-so-little in the way of resources. I hugged them both profusely and thanked them for the good care they had given to her. They didn't speak a word of English but I'm sure they understood. Shawn couldn't believe how dirty the orphanage was (and it was), but seriously.....it's not like these people can bop down to the local Wal-Mart, buy some 409 and scrub sponges and give the place a good cleaning every couple of weeks! This country is P.O.O.R.!!! It's really unbelieveable and humbling to see how some people live.

On the way back to Ha Noi, Kai did a little crying and was upset for a bit. I held her and comforted her....it was all I could do. I really thought that was the end of it, but at bedtime for the last two nights, she is just inconsolable and cries herself to sleep, exhausted, with me holding her, rocking her and rubbing her back. I know she is missing her sweet nannies, but we are doing all we can to help her make the transition. I'm not sure how long that will take, but we will do whatever it takes!

Today was better; we went shopping a bought her a sweater (it's been a bit chilly and almost everything I brought were sundresses!) and some new shoes (all the shoes that I had were too big - - the girl's got 3 1/2 size feet!) and a stroller. We walked all the way around Hoan Kiem Lake with Kai in her stroller. She didn't make a peep for 2 hours! We decided to have an early dinner - Kai had only a little over an hour nap earlier - but it was clear as soon as we got to the restaurant and sat down for dinner that she was in no mood for a leisurely dinner! We left without ordering, and got sandwiches to-go from a cafe attached to the hotel.

Anyway!! I know things will get better, and we are so overjoyed to be with her!! She is absolutely SCRUMPTIOUS and SWEET!

Hopefully, my blogsite will continue to cooperate so I can keep updating the end of the journey for you. We may be flying home at the end of next week rather than the following Wednesday (11/19). THAT would be awesome!!

We got to Skype Austin earlier today, and it was great to see his precious face!! I'm so appreciative of all the help we have had with him....and it's a real comfort to know that he's been well cared for!

More later.....!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord...she is YOURS!!!! Oh my goodness, I have been stalking your blog about every hour for the last day just hoping you would post an update!!! I am so glad to hear that things are going okay! The pictures are priceless and she looks so beautiful! What a blessing that she is already smiling!! We had the same challenges at night with Gracie...do you have any of her clothes from the orphanage? We had Gracie's shirt and let her sleep with that every night for about a month. That seemed to help a lot. I'm sure that just the smell of it brought her some comfort. Don't know if it will help or not, but you could give it a try! I can't wait to hear more details about your trip to the orphanage! I will continue praying for you that things go smoothly and quickly and that Kai will feel calm and peaceful knowing she is loved! Congrats!

Kerri said...

We are SO HAPPY for you guys! Ah, getting used to a baby schedule again. Don't you LOVE it!

We can't wait until you are home, and we can meet her. Safe travels!

Katie Cox said...

She is PRECIOUS! I'm so glad you got here and to her ok - I was worried hearing about all the flooding up there. Best of luck with the transition and the trip home. Congratulations!!!!!!

Melissa Ward said...

It's so good to see you finally holding your little dream come true! Kai is a cutie!!! I can't wait to see her in person.

M and M Nichols said...

Wow! Such a cute family. I'm sure Austin can't wait to meet his sister. I look forward to seeing you all when you get home! Safe travels.

Anonymous said...

You're on your way! Everyday WILL get better. I was excited every morning for Lilly to wake up and see our faces and know we were still there! Before you know it she'll be your little shadow and you'll be wishing for a moment alone to shower or send an email! ha! :) Rejoicing with you on your new family and waiting for a new post!